C1875 Albumen Prnt Students Hathorn Hall Bates College Lewiston African American
C1875 Albumen Print Students, Hathorn Hall, Bates College, Lewiston, Maine, African American, Women. Albumen Print on plain mount. Warm, rich tonal image sharp & clean, light aging overall, light lifting at edges, mount shows light aging, blank back. Uncommon early view of Hathorn Hall at Bates College, Lewiston, Maine showing students and faculty in front.
Founded as the Maine State Seminary in 1857, it was reincorporated as Bates College in 1863 and Hathorn Hall was the first building completed. Bates College is considered the first co-educational college in the state of Maine as well as an early progressive proponent of abolitionism.
This view shows one student at the far right (see enlargement) who appears. Additionally, there are five women posed at the center of the view.
A portion of the original gymnasium can be seen at the left of the image. We are currently listing a diverse selection of items. We cannot mark merchandise values below value or mark items as gifts. And International government regulations prohibit this.
Thank you for your understanding and cooperation. Contact should be made in three days. This item is in the category "Collectibles\Photographic Images\Photographs".
The seller is "bb1913" and is located in this country: US. This item can be shipped worldwide.
- Features: na
- Lewiston: Maine
- Region of Origin: US
- women: equality
- Format: albumen print
- Maine State Seminary: Methodist
- co-educational: women's rights
- Size Type/Largest Dimension: Medium (Up to 10\
- Time Period Manufactured: 1850-1899
- Production Technique: Albumen Print
- Modified Item: No
- Listed By: Dealer or Reseller
- students: teachers
- Subject: Architecture & Cityscape
- Vintage: Yes
- Original/Reprint: Original Print
- Size: 9 x 7
- Country/Region of Manufacture: United States
- Material: Paper
- Photo Type: Albumen Print
- Number of Photographs: 1
- Hathorn Hall: Bates College
- albumen print: 19th century photography
- Date of Creation: 1870-1879
- Framing: Unframed
- Year of Production: 1875
- Original/Licensed Reprint: Original
- African American: Black
- Image Color: Sepia
- abolition: abolitionism
- Featured Person/Artist: na
- Style: Documentary
- Antique: Yes
- Color: Sepia
- Photographer: unknown
- Theme: Architecture
- Type: Photograph