VERY RARE Signed Antique Photo African American Minstrel Circus Wire Performer
Very rare photo of the Great Layton, an African American wire balancing performer in the late 1800s and early 1900s, shown here doing his act, with his advertising banner visible on the left. Layton appears to have signed the back of the photo in ink. I couldn't find much info about him after that time. This is the only cabinet photo I have ever seen for sale of this performer. It was probably one of a small handful made as part of a promo for a small show. This listing shows a scan of an article I found online. The clipping is shown in this listing for reference only, and the original article is not included. My scan shows the front and back of the same photo, plus the scan of the article.
Image including its mount is approximately 4.5" x 3.5". This item is in the category "Collectibles\Photographic Images\Photographs".
The seller is "jack_mord" and is located in this country: US. This item can be shipped to United States.
- Antique: Yes
- Photo Type: Cabinet Photo
- Autograph Format: Hard Signed
- Signed: Yes
- Date of Creation: 1900-1910
- Image Color: Black & White
- Original/Licensed Reprint: Original
- Subject: African American, Ethnic, Sideshow, Sideshow Performers, Black, Circus
- Type: Photograph
- Format: Cabinet Card
- Original/Reprint: Original Print
- Theme: Americana
- Time Period Manufactured: Vintage & Antique (Pre-1940)
- Country/Region of Manufacture: United States